Maharishi Vedic City
Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 7:00 PM
City Hall, 1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson, Steve Boss, Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Marty Hulsebos (All by Zoom as it was impractical to attend in person due to the on-going concern by the council for the COVID-19 Pandemic)
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Loraine Przybylski
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Silence—Three minutes of silence was taken.
- Public Hearing on FY23 Proposed Budget—Mayor Badgett opened the public hearing on the fiscal year 2023 proposed budget. There were no comments, and the City Clerk reported no oral or written comments were received.
- Consider Resolution to Adopt FY23 Budget—Anastasio moved, Hulsebos seconded to adopt a resolution approving the budget for fiscal year 2023; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none. Resolution 20220323 was assigned.
- Public Comments—No public comments.
- Minutes—Goldstein moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on February 25, 2022; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none. Hulsebos moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on March 9, 2022; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Anastasio moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report—Postponed.
- Public Works and Utilities Report—Dr. Boyum gave an update on the bridge replacement project on Iris Ave., scheduling of road repair, road lift station maintenance at 1900 Capitol Blvd., and request for solar engineering design for wastewater plant.
- Discuss Sewer Hookup Fees—Postponed.
- Consider Partial Credit for Broken Water Pipe—Hulsebos moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve an estimated $130.00 water credit, based on average use, to the THMD campus; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Consider Water Quality Testing—The Council discussed annual water quality testing and follow-up with Wapello Rural Water Association.
- Discuss Amendments to Procedures Manual—Leslee Goldstein reported on additional proposed amendments to the council procedures manual.
- Discuss Electrical Vehicle Charging at City Hall—The Council discussed proposed electrical vehicle charging stations at City Hall and rates.
- Committee Reports—Public Safety and Public Works Committee: Leslee Goldstein reported on responsibilities and goals of the committee.
- City Hall and Council Chambers Report—Kathy Petersen reported on proposed Council Chambers renovations. Anastasio moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve $635.00 in expenses to renovate new council chambers room. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Other Business—No other business.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, Mayor
Loraine Przybylski, City Clerk