Maharishi Vedic City
Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 7:00 PM
City Hall, 1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson, Steve Boss, Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Marty Hulsebos (All by Zoom as it was impractical to attend in person due to the on-going concern by the council for the COVID-19 Pandemic)
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Loraine Przybylski
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Silence—Three minutes of silence was taken.
- Public Comments—No public comments.
- Minutes—Anastasio moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on April 27, 2022; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none. Goldstein moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on May 4, 2022; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Goldstein moved, Anastasio seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report—Postponed.
- Utilities Report—Dr. Boyum reported that a replacement pump will be ordered for one of the Mandala One lift stations as approved by the Council on November 10, 2021, that water testing data has been received from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, and on the American Rescue Plan portal for reporting.
- Roads and Bridges Report—Dr. Boyum reported on the progress of the 175th Bridge reconstruction project and road repair bid from LL Pelling and Council discussed repair options.
- Destination Iowa Grant Application Report— Boyum reported on the minimum total project cost of $5 million for the grant and Council discussed.
- Consider Approving Council Procedures Manual Amendments—Johnson moved, Anastasio seconded, to approve City Attorney review of current Council Procedures Manual with proposed amendments for a cost of up to $500. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Consider Approving Placement of New City Entrance Sign—Mr. Hulsebos reported on the Outreach Committee’s review of locations for the City entrance sign and recommendation.
- Consider Approving Robert Smistik to Public Safety and Public Works Committee—Ms. Goldstein reported that Mr. Smistik will be invited to be part of a working group.
- Consider Approving Yoga Classes at City Hall and Community Center—Ms. Przybylski reported that the City’s insurance company recommended that the instructor have insurance and that the instructor can solicit donations.
- Consider Approving Changes to Lawn Care Maintenance—See item 14.
- Consider Approving $1,700 for City Trail System Budget—Goldstein moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve $1,700 for the City Trail System budget and changes to lawn care maintenance. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Committee Reports—No Committee reports.
- Other Business—No other business.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, Mayor
Loraine Przybylski, City Clerk