Maharishi Vedic City
Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 7:00 PM
City Hall, 1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson (joined meeting at 7:50 p.m.), Steve Boss, Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Marty Hulsebos (All by Zoom as it was impractical to attend in person due to the on-going concern by the council for the COVID-19 Pandemic)
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Loraine Przybylski
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Silence—Three minutes of silence was taken.
- Public Comments—Resident Charles Winter expressed concern about increased aerial application of pesticides and fertilizers in the area and Council discussed options to deter agricultural aircraft from flying over the City.
- Minutes—Anastasio moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on July 14, 2022; Ayes: Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Anastasio moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report and End-of-Year Closing—Postponed until closing of FY 2023.
- Utilities Report—Dr. Boyum reported.
- Solar—Ideal Energy has completed first draft of solar design for wastewater treatment plants. Dr. Boyum will do a report on finances and health effects.
- Water—Iowa Department of Natural Resources allows City to reduce water test samplings because there have been no quality issues in past few years.
- Roads and Bridges Report—LL Pelling Co. is scheduled to begin City road resurfacing the first week of August.
- Private Developer—Dr. Boyum reported that a private developer is interested in buying land in Mandala 3 to build a home and Council discussed developer’s requests. (Johnson joined the meeting.)
- Updating Code of Ordinances— Boss reported that he received a proposal from Simmering-Cory to update the City ordinances for $5,400. Mr. Boss will report on the details of the proposal and research on other firms at the next Council meeting.
- Hiring Kathy Petersen as Consultant and Consider Painting and Computer as Payment—Mr. Boss reported on hiring Kathy Petersen as a consultant to cover for the City Clerk when she is out of office. Boss moved, Hulsebos seconded, to dispose of a City painting and laptop to Ms. Petersen as payment for her services. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Prairie Village Subdivision Approval—Council discussed amending the Prairie Village Subdivision Approval Agreement, authorized by Maharishi Vedic City Council on June 8, 2022.
- Tick Notice—Mayor Badgett reported on an increase of ticks on City trails. He will send a notice to residents.
- Committee Reports—None.
- Other Business—None.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, MayorLoraine Przybylski, City Clerk