Maharishi Vedic City
Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 7:00 PM
City Hall, 1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson (joined meeting at 7:10 p.m.), Steve Boss, Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Marty Hulsebos (All by Zoom as it was impractical to attend in person due to the on-going concern by the council for the COVID-19 Pandemic)
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Loraine Przybylski
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Silence—Three minutes of silence was taken.
- Public Comments—Charles Winter inquired about proposed solar project and Dr. Boyum reported under agenda item 6.
- Minutes—Anastasio moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on July 27, 2022; Ayes: Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Goldstein moved, Anastasio seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report—Postponed.
- Utilities Report—Dr. Boyum reported.
- Solar—An overview of the proposed solar project for the wastewater system was given. Mayor Badgett asked Dr. Boyum to research the Inflation Reduction Act which promotes clean energy.
- Water—Prairie Village developers continue to work with Wapello on options for providing water.
- Roads and Bridges Report— Boyum reported that LL Pelling completed road resurfacing.
- Discuss Maintenance and Snow Removal by Jefferson County for 180th and Airport Road Extension West of Jasmine Ave.—Council discussed maintenance and Mr. Johnson requested that ownership of the road be determined.
- Consider Approving Variance to City Code of Ordinance Section 21.02 Design and Use to Allow Asphalt Shingles on Ron Stakland’s Property—Council discussed use of shingles on the property and Mr. Johnson agreed to look at options with Dr. Boyum.
- Consider Amending Prairie Village Subdivision Approval Agreement—Postponed.
- Discuss Finances for FY23 Payroll—Council discussed payroll finances and Mr. Johnson recommended that it be considered by the Finance Committee.
- Consider Disabling Chat Feature During Zoom Meetings—Johnson moved, Anastasio seconded, to disable chat feature during Zoom Council meetings. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Consider In-Person City Council Meetings—The Council agreed to start holding hybrid Council meetings, with the option for in-person or Zoom.
- Committee Reports—Postponed.
- Other Business—None.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, MayorLoraine Przybylski, City Clerk