Maharishi Vedic City
Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 7:00 PM
City Hall, 1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson, Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Marty Hulsebos (In person and by Zoom as it was impractical for all to attend in person due to the on-going concern by the council for COVID-19)
Absent: Steve Boss
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Loraine Przybylski
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Silence—Three minutes of silence was taken.
- Public Comments—Ms. Goldstein reported that five lots were sold in Mandala 1.
- Minutes—Johnson moved, Anastasio seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on August 10, 2022; Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Johnson moved, Anastasio seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report—Goldstein moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Utilities Report —Dr. Boyum reported.
- Sewer—Discussions held with Maharishi International University concerning sewer system options for Fairfield Development Park, including possible connection to City wastewater plant.
- Solar—Community and Economic Development Committee to meet to review solar proposals from Ideal Energy. Inflation Reduction Act now includes solar tax credits up to 30% for municipalities/nonprofits.
- Water—The original water user agreement (2017) with Wapello Rural Water for Pandit Campus was presented.
- Roads Report—Dr. Boyum reported on ownership and maintenance of 180th and Airport Road Extension west of Jasmine Ave.
- Discuss Building Parameters and Materials—Mayor Badgett reported on history of City building parameters and materials. Dr. Boyum reported on his research of roofing materials.
- Consider Approving Janice Haynes as Member of the Public Safety and Public Works Committee—Anastasio moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve Janice Haynes as a member of the Public Safety and Public Works Committee. Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Committee Reports—Ms. Anastasio reported the holes for new trail signposts in front of City Hall are not a hazard with the tall grasses planted.
- Consider Purchase of Binders for Organizing and Archiving City Records—Council discussed digitizing City records.
- City Hall and Community Center Improvements—Council discussed repair of water leaks at City Hall.
- Other Business—None.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, Mayor
Loraine Przybylski, City Clerk