Maharishi Vedic City
Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 7:00 PM
City Hall, 1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson, Steve Boss, Leslee Goldstein, Marty Hulsebos (In person and by Zoom as it was impractical for all to attend in person due to the on-going concern by the council for COVID-19)
Absent: Kara Anastasio
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Loraine Przybylski
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Silence—Three minutes of silence was taken.
- Minutes—Hulsebos moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on September 14, 2022; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Goldstein moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report—Hulsebos moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: for none.
- Utilities Report —Dr. Boyum reported.
- Solar Sewer—Working with Ms. Przybylski on a Request for Proposal for the Solar Sewer Project. Deadline submitting proposals is October 12, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
- Sewer—Called manufacturer of Mandala One Lift Station Pump to get status.
- Water—See Item 7.
- Discuss Potential Uses of American Rescue Plan Act Funds, in Addition to Solar Sewer Project—Dr. Boyum and Council discussed additional potential uses of ARP funds.
- Discuss Letter from Frank Smith Law Office Regarding Wapello Rural Water Association’s Public Water Supply—Mr. Johnson provided a history of relationship between the City and Wapello. Mayor Badgett and Council discussed water supply to property outlined in Exhibit 1 of the letter.
- Consider Approving Letter of Agreement with Kathy Petersen for Part-Time City Clerk Services—Goldstein moved, and Hulsebos seconded, to approve the letter of Agreement with Kathy Petersen for part-time city clerk services; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Consider Approving Community and Economic Development Committee Review of Pandit Campus Sewer Charges—Boss moved, and Johnson seconded to approve Community and Economic Development Committee review of Pandit Campus sewer charges; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Committee Reports—None.
- City Hall and Community Center Improvements—Ms. Przybylski is working with Ms. Goldstein and Kathryn Petersen to re-open the Super Radiance Club rooms in City Hall.
- Other Business—Mayor Badgett announced Dr. Boyum’s retirement and acknowledged him for his work since the inception of the City.
- Public Comments—Resident Susan Petersen requested that the Council consider paving 170th to the west and Invincible America Drive. Resident Janiece Piltingsrud commented on water utility and subdivision approval at Prairie Village.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, Mayor
Loraine Przybylski, City Clerk