Maharishi Vedic City
Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 7:00 PM
City Hall, 1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson, Steve Boss (joined 8:19 p.m.), Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Marty Hulsebos (All by Zoom as it was impractical to attend in person due to the on-going concern by the council for the COVID-19 Pandemic)
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Loraine Przybylski
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Silence—Three minutes of silence was taken.
- Public Comments—Recreation and Beautification Committee Chair Stellavera Kilcher gave an update on the Wellmark grant application for the City Trail System and the Committee’s recommendation that an application also be submitted for the Destination Iowa grant. Prairie Village developer Tim Fitz-Randolph and Council discussed the developer’s proposal for a new subdivision. Due to technical issues, the discussion was continued under Agenda point 11.
- Minutes—Anastasio moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held on March 23, 2022; Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Anastasio moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve the report. Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report——Goldstein moved, Hulsebos seconded, to approve the February report. Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Utilities Report—Dr. Boyum reported on maintenance of sewer lift stations at 1900 Capitol Blvd. and in Mandala 6, compounds tested by Wapello Rural Water Association, and solar energy discussions with Ideal Energy.
- Roads Report—Dr. Boyum reported on the 175th St. bridge reconstruction project and visit from LL Pelling Co. to inspect condition of City roads.
- Consider Reimbursement of $331.70 for Blocked Sewer Line Repair at 1855 St. Francis Ct. —Goldstein moved, Hulsebos seconded, to reimburse owner Jim Bagnola for $331.70 in repairs. Ayes: Johnson, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Jyotish Consultation Report—Leslee Goldstein reported on the Jyotish consultation for the City. The Council discussion distribution of the report.
- Discuss Use of Glyphosate on Farmland on Jasmine Lane—Postponed.
- Consider Prairie Village Subdivision Approval Amendment— Boss moved, Johnson seconded, to table further discuss of the Prairie Village subdivision approval. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein; Nays: Hulsebos.
- Consider Projects for Destination Iowa Grant Application—Postponed.
- Consider Scheduling Special Meeting to Interview Patrick O’Connell for City Attorney Services— Boss moved, Johnson seconded, to approve a special meeting on April 18, 2022 at 11:00 a.m. to meet with Patrick O’Connell of Lynch Dallas PC to ask questions related to potentially engaging the firm as City Attorney. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none.
- Committee Reports—Postponed.
- Council Chambers Opening Celebration—Postponed.
- Other Business—None
Johnson moved, Boss seconded, to adjourn the meeting. Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Hulsebos; Nays: none. Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, Mayor
Loraine Przybylski, City Clerk